Monday, June 7, 2021

Coffee Cup Ramblings and Ridiculous Poetry: Weeds

 Hello, All...

Monday morning means another Coffee Cup Ramblings and Ridiculous Poetry post. You were rubbing your hands together in eager anticipation, right? (Humor me and say yes!)

😂

While enjoying a cup of hot, steaming, liquid love I pondered what to write about and weeds came to mind. What can I say, I'm a nature geek.   

 


  

So weeds...

I think they get a bad rap. They've been called undesirable, aggressive, wild, invasive, annoying, and other words with a negative connotation. Most of the time those descriptors are well deserved, because let's face it - we don't want them in our vegetable gardens, yards, farm fields, and growing willy-nilly around the house. And those who suffer with allergies, weeds can cause all kinds of issues. 

In the proper setting though, weeds can be beautiful, beneficial, helpful, medicinal, and more.    

They're a misunderstood gift. That's what I'm going to key on in this post. 

One overlooked plus about weeds is that some are a seasonal food supply for seed-eating birds. 

Regarding medicinal help, dandelions are edible and can help support liver function, balance hormones, and more. (You can even make wine with them)



Ground ivy is edible too, has anti-inflammatory qualities, and are high in Vitamin C. Once used to treat scurvy, these days you can make an immune boosting tea or tincture.  

Plantain seeds and leaves can be eaten. They're full of vitamins, and  have anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory qualities. The leaves can be crushed and used to heal small injuries and insect bites.

(Disclaimer: Do not eat any weeds until you research them. Some weeds are not people friendly, some are not pet friendly.) 

I could list a lot more weeds and their benefits, but I don't want to turn this post into a weed documentary. I just wanted to share my fondness for some types of weeds and highlight their good points.

In the ditch on the north side of our property, I found these beauties. They're called Star of Bethlehem. Cool, eh?




Last but not least, here's something that my neighbor's probably said if they saw me with a spade out at the ditch, "What's she up to now?"




I recently dug out a few milkweed and transplanted them in one of my flower and bush gardens. It's been hot in Ohio, so I probably should've waited for cooler temps to move them, but once I get something in my noggin there's no stopping me. lol  

Butterflies love milkweed. That's my objective - to feed the butterflies once the milkweed bloom. I also have a butterfly bush that's actually a weed. The butterflies go gaga over it. Here's a picture of it from last year, since it hasn't bloomed yet this season.



Before I get to some silly poetry, I wanted to tell you to do a Google search for Strawberry White Clover Cookies recipe. The cookies look tasty and simple to make. I'd love to share the recipe here, but I didn't ask for permission to do so. I may give the recipe a try. If I do, I'll let you know how they turn out.   


Now onto the goofy poetry...

I'm such a geek,

a real nature freak.

I love me some weeds,

and all their seeds.

Flowers and weeds can co-exist,

the mindset that they're a bother we must resist. 

Nature replenishes, even through drought.

If we try to subdue them, they'll find another route.

Give them a chance,

in your gardens let them dance. 

Don't snub your noses at weeds,

in the toughest of times they could supply all our needs.


Another thing to share...

In Keeping Kylee, book #2, page 135 in my Texas Boys Falling Fast Series, I mentioned milkweed. Quinn, Kylee, and friends are at a resort in the Texas hill country. Here's what I said - A few monarch butterflies that hadn't migrated north, congregated on a patch of purposely planted milkweed. 

* See, I even put my fascination for weeds in my stories* 



 

I'm getting kind of wordy with this post, but I wanted to leave you with one last thought - In some ways we're all a variety of weed: strong, resilient, stubborn, independent, a survivor, helpful, and an often misunderstood gift. 


If you have a moment and want to check out my website, click the link:  Jan's website


Until next week, take good care!

~ Jan

   


6 comments:

  1. I love weeds to! I always say weeds are beautiful to! Milk weed is awesome, pretty flowers that butterflies love!!! Last year for some reason they didn’t grow well, I’m thinking a rain drought just as they were growing. I see some out there now just starting. I remember the mentioning of them I pan Texas Boys Falling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I think we're on the same wave length with nature. You're my nature-soul sister!! I hope the milkweed I transplanted survives. It looks a little withered right now. Thanks for popping in!! *Virtual hug coming your way*

      Delete
  2. We used to make dandelion greens salad with hot oil. It was delicious!

    Your poems are so much fun, Jan! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom made dandelion greens too, with bacon and oil. I think she chopped up boiled egg to put in it too. I shoot from the hip with my poems and it shows. LOL Thanks for saying they're fun, Lisette! :-))

      Delete
  3. Our neighbor hunts for weeds on the side of the road, stops his car, and digs them up to plant in his yard. He loves weeds and all their flowers. Does it help with our yard? Nope. It's just annoying! But more power to him for liking weeds, I guess. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty cool, Markee. I know some people cut decorative weeds to put in their table arrangements. We're all a little quirky, just in different ways. :-))

      Delete