Sunday, January 17, 2021

The things you learn about your characters... (recipe included)

One of the fun things I like about being a writer is learning things about my characters as my stories unfold. Some authors know ahead of time everything about their characters before they ever start a new story. I'd like to give them a high-five. I'm in the group of writers, however, that doesn't nail all the quirks, habits, flaws, likes and dislikes, etc. right away. I have the basics down pat, but I can't seem to know them 100% until certain things happen within their adventure. I have been surprised more times than not by the things I've discovered along the way. A good example is Danna, the main female character in book number 2 of my Coffee and Dessert Series, that is currently underway. I knew ahead of time that she was going to be quirky and eccentric, I just didn't know to what length. I have to tell you, she's made me laugh and shake my head a few times, and I can't wait to share her personality with you when the story is finished. I'm hoping it will be sometime in the first quarter of this year. 

Anyway, here are some things that make Danna, Danna. She's fearless in most things, loves colorful clothes, hats, and purses, and she can't seem to live without cheese and anything made with pumpkin.



In one of the scenes, she talking to her cat about men, while she's making pumpkin-chocolate chip-pecan snack cake. 


Here's the recipe:

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Spray 9" x 13" glass baking dish with cooking spray. 

1 and 1/2 cups sugar

7 and 1/2 ounces of pumpkin puree

1/2 cup of oil (you can substitute 1/2 c. applesauce for the oil)

1/3 cup of water

2 eggs, beaten

1 and 3/4 cup flour 

3 teaspoons cinnamon

1/2 tablespoon of nutmeg

1 teaspoon of baking soda

3/4 teaspoon of salt

1 and 1/2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

You can also add dried cranberries, a 1/2 cup or more

(This is not an original recipe. I found it online about 10 years ago and modified it to my taste.)


This is what the finished product looks like...






Now that I've made this cake and given you some insight into Danna, it's time to get back to writing.

Have a great day!

~ Jan



 



  





2 comments:

  1. I think learning about the characters along the way give them more personal characteristics in the story. Some personalities need to be brought out with the way they act towards others and their surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too, Kim. Thank you for popping in and leaving a comment. *Long distance hug*

      Delete