Thursday, July 22, 2021

Coffee Cup Ramblings and Ridiculous Poetry: Collecting Things

 




Hello, All!

Welcome to another installment of Coffee Cup Ramblings and Ridiculous Poetry. As always, this isn't a well-thought-out post. Just a bunch of nonsense put into words. 

As I drank from my Holly Hobby coffee cup, I couldn't decide what I wanted to write about. Things I Would Tell My Younger Self sounded like a good idea and so did Collecting Things. For reasons unknown, Collecting Things won the mental coin toss. 

I've often wondered what drives folks to collect certain things, mostly because I don't collect anything (except dust and an occasional coffee cup). Am I missing a certain gene? I think I am. (That would explain a lot... LOL)



 

Some folks love to track down treasures like old coins and tools, glassware and arrowheads. Others have a special affection for stockpiling seashells and everyday items such as wine bottles, baseball cards, and sports jerseys. I have a friend who collects rocks from every place she visits. Her rock garden is awesome. My sister is all about Christmas. She goes to estate auctions and garage sales looking for gently used decorations to collect. When Christmas rolls around, those valuables get put to good use and her home tastefully reflects her love for the holiday. 


So this non-existent gene of mine, is it actually missing or just evasive? I'm leaning toward it being a wily little sucker that keeps ducking me. 

Do the things that people gather somehow fill a void or bring comfort? Or is it simply the thrill of a scavenger hunt? Could it be a yearning to own a piece of the past? 

As I'm compiling this post, I'm struck by something odd (which for me is a common occurrence - *big grin*). In a way, I've been a collector all my life. I just didn't acknowledge it until now. I'm a collector of words, which prompted me to jump up from the computer and sort through a stack of manila folders until I found the one labeled Vocabulary. Even before I was published, I amassed sheets of paper and Post-It notes with words that I love. To those who don't write, you're probably thinking that I need to get a life (and yes, I really do need to get one. i.e. last week's post was about mud. Need I say more?). To those who do write, you understand the treasure trove I keep in that manila folder.



 

Yahoo! I actually do collect something. 

In book #1 of my Coffee and Dessert Series, Meg collects glass and ceramic turtles. I'm working on book #2, which is Danna's story. So far she hasn't collected anything. Maybe she has a missing or elusive gene too. 




Are you still awake? Are you up for some bad poetry? If you answered yes to both questions, get ready to be dazzled! (Bedazzled?)  

I always attempt to write good poetry. Seriously, I do. Why don't you believe me? LOL    


Ceramic turtles, I have not a one,

for Meg, collecting them must be fun.

Treasured things don't line my shelves,

not even dusty Christmas elves.

Words crowd my brain, I save them all,

in my folder they stay, until my writing hits a brick wall. 

The scavenger game I do not play,

to those who do, you're extraordinary is all I can say.

Collect special things, as well as moments in time,

why do I always have to make my poems rhyme?  


Until next week, take good care of you and yours!

Wishing you love and joy! 

~ Jan


www.authorjanromes.com

 


      

 

  


4 comments:

  1. I collect so many thingsπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Yes your a collector of words my friend, coffee cups… Holly hobby was a blast from the past! Great post again. I rhyme when I even try to write poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim!! We all have things that are special to us and want to keep. (My holly hobby cup...lol) Poetry doesn't come easy to me, that's why I have to rhyme it. I have a great-niece who writes heartfelt, amazing poetry. :)

      Delete
  2. I collect seashells from the beach.. my happy place. love your poem btw.. your words came from your heart ❤πŸ˜ŠπŸ™

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom collected shells too, Joanne! She really enjoyed them. I have a few that I've saved from Florida trips long ago. Thank you for the kind words about my poetry. :-)))

      Delete