Thursday, August 28, 2014

Ice water, baby!


I took the ALS ice bucket challenge to help raise awareness of the horrible disease.





For those who don't know, ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease) is a disease of the brain and nerves which affects the spinal cord and muscles. The nerve cells waste away and die, thus they cannot send signals to those muscles we normally have control over. When the chest muscles stop working, it becomes impossible to breathe. I became aware of ALS when a member of our community fought hard and lost the battle. Since then, I've learned that more and more people are afflicted and to my knowledge there is still no cure.

May all those participating in the ALS ice bucket challenge and those donating to the cause, bring attention to this disease and help those suffering. 


2 comments:

  1. Nice job Jan! My son and I did it too!! Unbelievable how fast they raised so much money for this cause.

    ReplyDelete