Monday, February 23, 2015

An Interview with Marta Moran Bishop!


Marta Moran Bishop


Good morning, Marta! It's a joy to have you on my blog! I was looking at your bio on your Amazon author's page and was intrigued. You're a prolific writer who's the product of three generations of women writers. That's so cool! 

Jan, I am such a fan of your books and writing that I'm truly honored that you asked me to chat with you today.


Marta, you write children's books, fantasy and paranormal stories, and poetry. Which genre do you find the most challenging? 

What a great question. It would be getting my mind and spirit to see the world through either an animal's eyes as I did in Dinky: The Nurse Mare's Foal, Dinky's Quest: The Journey Begins, and both my children's poetry books Wee Three: A Mother's Love in Verse and Innocence and Wonder, to be the most challenging.  





To some, writing for children might seem easy. I think it would be difficult. Can you share some insight?

The first children's book was Wee Three: A Mother's Love in Verse. The most difficult part was taking my grandmother's half-finished verses and expanding them.

While doing this, I had to relearn how to see the world through the eyes of a child and keep her voice intact. I didn't want someone reading it to know where her verses ended and mine began, but probably 95% of the book was written by me and I believe there were only five verses I left untouched and didn't add to them.






Marta, can you describe your writing style?

My writing style depends upon what I am writing, however there is one common theme, at some point in the book or story a glimpse of hope, a spray of light at the end of the tunnel, must be there.

When I write it is fast paced, (except of course for the rewrites, ugh) When I write paranormal or fantasy the stories usually write themselves, the characters name themselves and the stories come alive as my fingers type. This is true of all my paranormal and fantasy books.

Dinky's book was different in that it went through eight rewrites as I wrote it first-person-horse and it was based upon a true story. It was my first experience writing first-person anything let alone a horse. Even though the story could tell itself, I had to find a way for him to know about things that he wouldn't have known about as a baby (foal). That was the most difficult thing for me and that part required some deliberation.






Do you have any writing quirks that we would enjoy hearing about? When you need to get in the zone to write, is there any person, place or thing that prompts your creativity?

Another fabulous question and a difficult one to answer. I have so many things that inspire me or put me in the zone. I watch people, animals, make cloud pictures, watch the trees, or sometimes it is an article I read or a dream I had that inspired me. I guess the quirkiest thing I do is open myself to life and nature. The Between Times came to me after reading some articles and one morning I was sitting outside in the pre-dawn light and the book took over my mind. The characters came to light. The Void, The Choosing, and The Night of the Fairies seemed to birth themselves. 





I believe writers are daydreamers who finally got the chance to put the stories in their heads down on paper (or on the computer). When did you decide to make your daydreams a reality? What is the first book you published?

The first book I published was Wee Three: A Mother's Love in Versethough it went through three incarnations and three publishers. 





You live on a farm in Massachusetts. Does farming and animals play a big part in your stories?

Absolutely, bugs, horses, dragonflies, sunrises and sunsets, snow, wind, rain, droughts, and even clouds find their way into either a poem or story. They all help me to see the world differently.

When I wrote The Choosing, based upon a mythical society of pre-historical native tribe, much of what they might have gone through I found in the artifacts and critters here on this piece of land.


Besides the usual social media sites for promotion, you also are involved in blog/talk/radio. Can you tell us a little bit about that experience?

My first foray into blog talk radio, was as a guest, after that I found I wanted to feature other authors in ways I couldn't as a guest and my show was born. Blog talk Radio has its technical issues, but I find it a rewarding way of giving back to those authors who have given me so much joy when I read their books. 


A little bit about Marta Moran Bishop...

Marta Moran Bishop is the product of three generations of women writers. Their legacy to her was an inquisitive mind and a joy of writing and reading. She reads to children and adults alike taking her books from children's classes to senior centers.

Her first book, Wee Three: A Mothers Love In Verse, a children's poetry book, illustrated by Hazel Mitchell, was a collaborative effort and a labor of love. She took the short, sweet verses her grandmother wrote in the nineteen thirty's for her children and expanded those and added additional verses of her own.

Ms. Bishop, is a prolific and versatile writer, she currently has two children's poetry books, Dinky: The Nurse Mare's Foal, which is based on the true story of her rescue foal and written from his point of view and is enjoyed by both children and adults alike.

Her novel The Between Times, tells the story of a bleak world, where society consists of the poor and the rich and the poor live in squalor, with only a prophecy for hope of a better future. It has a touch of paranormal in its pages.

She has written three adult poetry books and a variety of fantasy and paranormal stories. A few of them are stories that her mother wrote over forty years ago and she finished while others are new and vibrant stories.

She states "I learned that one needed to have a plot and conversation to move the story forward from a particularly bad play I wrote at the age of six. It was the worst play ever written or performed. It was so awful my mother stopped the production after about three minutes."

She currently lives on a small farm in Massachusetts with her husband, three horses, cats and a conure parrot named Beau. They help her remember to view the world through a child's innocence and keep her young and imaginative
.



Thank you so much for being here, Marta! Wishing you big success with your writing career. May the writing spark/gene you received be passed down to the next generation!

Jan, thank you for spending this time with me today and for the well wishes. It has been delightful!





You can follow Marta here:


Website:  www.martamoranbishop.com

Publisher's Website:  katmoranbishop.com

Blog:  www.martambishop.blogspot.com

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/moranbishop

LinkedIn:  https://www.linkedin.com/in/martamoranbishop

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/MartaMoranBishopAuthor

Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/MartaMoranBishop

Amazon Author Page:  http://www.amazon.com/Marta-Moran-Bishop/e/B003NQCSGW/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1424700414&sr=8-1







2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Jan. You wrote your questions so beautifully, nearly as wonderful as your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marta! It was a joy learning a little bit more about you as an author and a friend! Wishing you much success with your writing and career! ♥

      Delete