Monday, December 9, 2013

Shaping A Better World by Danica Cornell

How One Writer Hopes to Shape a Better World for All of Us...One Word at a Time

~ ~
 
Author Danica Cornell Discusses the Layers of Social Responsibility Inherent Within the Science Fiction Genre and Why She Believes Her DARK STAR Series is an Idea Whose Time Has Come

 
Written by Danica Cornell


 
December 6, 2013

 
My sincere thanks to the gifted Jan Romes for inviting me here today. I am truly honored to share this platform with Jan and her readers. I'm also delighted to announce that I will be featuring Jan on my blog on January 13, 2014! So mark your calendars everyone...no doubt this will be an enjoyable and informative event!

 
Before we embark on what I hope will be a fruitful and spirited discussion, please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Danica Cornell, and for those of you who don't know me, I'm the author of the forthcoming DARK STAR Science Fiction/Fantasy Series soon to be published by Cool Geek Books.

 
Coming Soon, DARK STAR I: The Assassins

But the reason I'm here today isn't only to talk about my novels. I'm also going to discuss some topics with all of you that are near and dear to my heart:  The social responsibility inherent within the sci-fi genre, as well as my support of UNICEF through the sales of my books.

 
Let's begin by taking a closer look at how science fiction contributes to the greater good by acting as a moral compass for all of us.

 
Science Fiction and Social Responsibility

 
I'd like to start off this section by clarifying that the series I'm creating has elements of fantasy interwoven throughout each of its science fiction story lines. But here's the thing. It's because of DARK STAR's overarching science fiction themes that I feel a certain level of responsibility when it comes to the messages each of my books will convey. To be clear, as an author I understand the cautionary tales I'm penning are first and foremost meant to entertain my readers. But I would be remiss in overlooking their added value when it comes to opening a dialogue about the directions technology and society are taking -- and whether or not humanity's heading down the right path.


 
Tapping into Sci-fi Themes to Create Messages

 
When I lasered in on DARK STAR's science fiction themes and messages, I did so with the intention of using these constructs as a scaffold for the series, as well as for the development of its characters. The themes I'm incorporating are what most people would probably consider to be The Really Big Questions, and include:

 
     What is reality?
     What does it mean to be human?
     Are we becoming more or less integrated?
     Can humans be trusted with new
     technologies?
     What does the future hold for us?
     Are we alone?
     Will technology save us or annihilate us?
     Is it possible to travel in time?
     Why are we here?
     How did we get here?
     How do we fit into the great beyond?
     Can we live forever and if so, should we?


Timing is Everything

 
While I'm the first to acknowledge these themes are not new to the genre of science fiction, my sense is that the time is ripe for the creation of the DARK STAR Series. Why? Because of three specific factors that are coming together as we speak: the technological renaissance; globalization; and the mainstreaming of science fiction itself. In other words, from my vantage point, DARK STAR is a series whose time has come! Additionally, it's my intention to utilize this unique opportunity for the greater good of humanity by serving as a messenger in my writings as well as by financially supporting charitable organizations.

 
 
Writing For the Greater Good of Humanity...For Both Today and Tomorrow

 
Perhaps the most obvious (and immediate) way I'm using my writing for the greater good of humanity is by donating a portion of the proceeds from my ground-breaking novel to the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF). My hope is that through these contributions, some of the children who benefit from UNICEF's work may go on to help others in the future.

 
To be sure, this philanthropic gesture brings added meaning to my writing, but I recognize it's only the beginning of my social responsibility as an author. I suspect many may be surprised to learn that my long-term plan is to use my books as a stepping stone for even more ambitious philanthropic projects later on -- indeed this has been the driving force behind my creation of the DARK STAR series all along! From its inception, I've been combining my passions for the written word with my desire to help others as a way to open the door to achieving this -- my ultimate goal in life.


 

Exit Stage Left

 
So in case you're wondering if I'm entering the literary field with the intention of eventually leaving it, my answer is an unequivocal yes. Strange as it may sound, with any luck one day I'll be financially able to extricate myself from the work I love, so I can devote the remainder of my life to helping others. Having said this, DARK STAR is an ambitious series -- one that will likely keep me firmly planted within the sci-fi/fantasy community for at least another decade. So for now I'm hoping readers will begin to recognize me as an author who's dedicated to creating a quality book series while simultaneously making the world a better place for all of us...one word at a time. 

 

Until we meet again...

 
Happy reading,
Danica
 

Danica Cornell holds a B.A. in Psychology from Argosy University. She is also a visionary entrepreneur, Fantasy/Science Fiction Network contributing author, and UNICEF-supporter. To learn more about this emerging author please visit:





3 comments:

  1. Hi Jan, Just wanted to say thank you again for inviting me on your blog. I had a marvelous time writing this post and I'm looking forward to featuring you on my site as well. Best wishes, Danica :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having you on my blog, Danica. You're a very caring person with a vision for a better future for all of us and you're an awesome writer as well. Wishing you much success with your Dark Star series :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete