Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Mackenzie Crowne - THAT DATING THING and A SONG FOR SOPHIE


Mackenzie Crowne
(Mac)
 
 
 
Exciting and proficient author, Mackenzie Crowne is my guest today! She comes to us with her newest contemporary romance, That Dating Thing! and an interview.
 
 
Mac, I follow you on Facebook, Twitter and on The Wild Rose Press Yahoo loop. In all of those venues your adventurous and upbeat personality shines through. Where does that spunky disposition come from?
 
Spunky? Ha! I like that. First, let me thank you for inviting me to visit with you today. You're a total sweetie. Second, before I forget to mention it, my lighthearted, honky tonk contemporary romance, A Song for Sophie, is FREE to download now through Saturday on Amazon. Whoot! Feel free to share the link folks.
 
Okay, spunky. Hmm. Well, I think of myself as a "The glass is half full" kind of girl. The world is full of potential adventures just waiting for me to discover them. That comes from having an incredibly loving family. Dad and Mom were awesome parents, instinctively employing the perfect balance of faith, discipline, and pure silliness. The result was a houseful of happy, healthy, empowered spirits. I can't recall a day when my seven siblings and I weren't completely confident in the knowledge we are loved. With that kind of upbringing, it's hard not to be upbeat.
 
What did you do before you became a writer?
 
I learned how to ride a bike without training wheels. *grins* Sorry, couldn't resist, but seriously, I can't remember a time when I didn't write. Just don't ask me where those earliest stories are. I have a hard enough time keeping track of my cell phone. Becoming an author...now that's different. It took a bout with breast cancer to shove me toward the publishing world. I figured I'd beat the demon cancer, it was time to shoot for my dream. I'm so glad I finally did.
 
Has your life changed a lot since you published your first book?
 
Other than being much busier with the added hours promotion requires, not really. Life here at "The Testosterone Ranch" remains as chaotic as it's always been and yet I still find ways to sneak off and give life to the voices in my head.
 
When you're working on a scene and you know what you want to happen but the words are being stubborn, what do you do to make your muse behave?
 
I introduce a new character into the mix and throw up a scene taking everyone in a direction contrary to where we'd been headed. These scenes and characters don't often make it into the final cut, but they shake up the creative process when my muse is being stubborn.
 
You have several books under your belt so you know how the writing and publishing world goes. Do you have any words of wisdom you'd like to share with newly published or aspiring authors? Anything you would do differently?
 
     1.  The standard answer to the question is also true. Keep        
          writing. Practice makes perfect, after all.
 
     2.  Cultivate friendships with other authors. They are in the same
          boat as you and in many cases have already made mistakes you 
          want to avoid. Which leads me to #3.

     3.  Don't be afraid to ask questions. I don't know about other genres,
          but romance writers are among the most generously helpful
          people I've ever met. Ask a question of five romance authors,
          odds are you'll get five great answers.

As for what I would do differently, I would start building active social media platforms as soon as possible. The moment you sign your first contract, you're going to discover how much you need them. Why not have them up and running before you do?

You've penned: Gift of the Realm, Where Would You Like Your Nipple?, A Song for Sophie, The Billionaire's Con, and now, That Dating Thing. Could you share the blurb and perhaps an excerpt?




Blurb:

The daughter of Wall Street's most notorious stock swindler, dog trainer Rylee Pierce has perfected the art of flying beneath society's radar. Prosecutor Cooper Reed is a threat to her carefully hidden truths, but how is a woman supposed to resist a man capable of handling a psychotic Great Dane while charming her out of her panties before she has the chance to blink?

Excerpt:

     "People rarely come out of this kind of thing on friendly terms."

     "This kind of thing?" He continued to advance.

     "We're connected through Sil and Elliott. I don't want to see them caught in the middle when this...dating thing, or whatever it is you're after, ends."

     "This dating thing?"

     "Or whatever it is you're after," she repeated. As he closed the distance, she stepped back and bumped up against the shark cage. She slapped her spread fingers against his chest to prevent him from coming any closer. "I'm not in the market for a relationship right now."

     "Then we don't have a problem, because neither am I." He brushed a fingertip over the perfect skin of her cheekbone. "So, here's what I suggest."

     Her eyelids fluttered, pupils dilating, and reluctant temptation replaced the wariness in her dark orbs. Still, she kept a defensive hand on his chest.

     "If you insist on negotiating when I've already explained my concerns," she said, holding his gaze, "I'd rather you didn't touch me."

     He checked the urge to kiss her at the artless admission of finding his touch disturbing. Instead, he moved his hand to the cage beside her head. He wrapped his fingers around the metal bar and dipped his head, bringing his face closer to hers. She blinked but held her ground, boldly meeting his gaze.

     "I propose we get to know one another," he pressed. "A few dinners. Maybe a show, or a ball game or two if you like. We find out what makes each other tick."

     "Hmmm." Her mouth moved into a smirk. "Five seconds ago you were talking a meal. Now it's a few dinners and a ball game or two. At this rate we'll be jetting off to Vegas by the end of the week."

     She didn't try to stop him when he took the final step that brought their bodies within inches of each other. "Has anyone ever accused you of being a wiseass?"

     Head cocked as though considering the question, her mouth quivered on a smile. "Nope."

     "How about a liar?"

     She lost the battle with the smile and her low laugh sent a lash of desire whipping across his midsection. He did what he'd wanted to do since arriving at his father's condo days ago. Leaning in, he took...


By the way, Mac, you have a very cool blog! Folks, you can check out Mac's Mad Mania blog at: www.mackenziecrowne.com

You can also follow her at:

Amazon Author Page
FaceBook Author Page
Twitter @maccrowne
Goodreads









7 comments:

  1. Good morning, Jan. Thanks so much for having me over today, sweetie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love having you here, Mac! You're welcome anytime :)

      Delete
  2. Hi, Mac. I love your spirit. Also your advice about what to do when a scene isn't coming. I'll keep that in mind in the future. Just wanted to say I'm breast cancer survivor too. Eleven years and counting. Don't bring this up all that often, but October is Breast Cancer Survivor month. You said that's what got you writing after you went through it. It's what kept me going as I went through it. I was still working full time then, and I'd come home exhausted. After watching "Everybody Loves Raymond," I'd seek out my laptop and type away.

    Barbara Barrett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs, Barbara! It sounds like you have a spunky spirit too! :-)) Congratulations on eleven years and counting as a Breast Cancer Survivor!!! That's awesome! May those eleven years grow to a hundred and eleven. Best wishes with your writing! ~ Jan

      Delete
    2. Congrats Barbara. I love meeting sister survivors! It's funny how facing something like breast cancer can give us the push we need to do what we've always wanted but were to busy living to bother. Wow, that was a long, convoluted sentence, wasn't it? But true just the same. I'm impressed you managed to write throughout treatment. That takes incredible strength and determination. You go, girl!

      I'm celebrating Breast Cancer Survivor month by making my survivor's guide, Where Would You Like Your Nippple?, free next Wed through Sun. I'll be shouting it out on social media. Be sure to pick up a copy, I'm sure you'll recognize some of the silliness.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed the post and the excerpt! Thanks for sharing your advice. I'll try adding new characters the next time I'm stuck. Usually I head for another creative avenue, but more likely, I hide in someone else's book. :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Ashantay, When the added character trick bombs, I dive into a good book too. :-) Thanks for popping by.

      Delete