Sunday, January 15, 2012

Interview with romance author, Kellie Kamryn

Today I would like to welcome author, Kellie Kamryn to my blog! Kellie and I both write contemporary romance, but with different heat levels (my books are spicy, Kellie’s are extra-spicy). Recently, I had the joy of reading Kellie’s novel, PLEASURE ISLAND, from The Wild Rose Press. It was a fast-paced sexy read. Kellie put a unique spin on a timeless tale of broken hearts looking to be healed. Her style of writing is fresh and memorable. Kellie and I are on the same Yahoo loops, but we got to know each other better on Twitter. She has an amazing personality so I thought it would be fun to interview her.
*****
Jan: First of all, Kellie, thanks for being a guest on my blog today. J
Kellie: Thanks for having me here, and I’d like to say “wow” on all the compliments you just gave me! I’m humbled.
*****
Jan: Now, onto the good stuff! Anyone who follows your tweets on Twitter will realize what a busy gal you are. With four active kids and a fondness for staying in shape, you still find time to write amazing stories and blog posts. Tell us your secret for making it all work.
Kellie: Uh…I don’t have a secret. I have a day book that I use religiously to keep me on track because I could spend many hours promoting or writing and forget to eat or exercise. So I make to-do lists every day. I have to make a conscious effort to take care of myself because once the kids come home from school, my focus is mainly on them. I do love exercise but I’ll tell you something – my real fondness is for chocolate. Thus, I have to exercise!
*****
Jan: Are you a morning person? Or a night owl?
Kellie: Night owl and it’s the bane of my existence. If I don’t go to bed by a certain time, my second wind kicks in and them I’m done for. I start working again, and then I can’t sleep. I hate getting up in the morning! I’m the person who hits the snooze button a hundred times. I literally have to set the alarm a good half hour before I have to be up otherwise it’s a really slow start to my day and when I’ve got kids to get off to school, then I’m sunk! Over the Christmas holidays, my daughter wanted me to stay up to watch Ghost Hunters with her. I must have been tired because I kept falling asleep on her. Now she jokes about how old I’m getting because I can’t stay up. Teenagers…
*****
Jan: Coffee makes my world turn. What goodies help your creative process?
Kellie: Well, I do like chocolate. Milk chocolate. Chocolate covered nuts. Peanut butter and chocolate. I think you get the idea. I drink a lot of tea, and try to have plates of veggies or fruit by the computer so I can snack healthy while I work. *hears Jan snicker* What? I said I try!
*****
Jan: I’m a weirdo when it comes to expressing joy. *grins* When I sold my first book, I hurried to my husband with my face buried in my hands and said, “Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh.” Thinking back to your first sale, how did you react? Cartwheels? Screaming? Skipping through the house? Or were you a weirdo like me?
Kellie: My first acceptance I pretty much screamed, “Oh my god! Yes!” (How fitting, considering what I write…) The tears started streaming down my face, the kids wanted to know what was wrong, I spun around in my desk chair, the kids cheered, the dog barked – it was mayhem! After a few rejections, that was a stellar moment. Getting five acceptances in one year was awesome doesn’t begin to describe it. Pretty much the same reaction every time.
*****
Jan: Most writers hit a point in their books when the words just will not come. Sometimes the dilemma lasts for an hour or for a few days. Have you ever had to deal with a stubborn muse? If so, how did you make it behave?
Kellie: Oh yeah. Last summer was stressful and I don’t think I wrote anything new for two months. Drove me crazy! A fellow author and dear friend, encouraged me to write a short for a Christmas anthology and that brought me out of my funk. But it was tough, I tell ya. If I’m stuck on something, I just try to figure out why the words won’t flow. Sometimes it’s because I don’t know my characters well enough, or I just have too much going on in my personal life. I just try to relax, prioritize things in my life and trust that it will come back to me when I’m ready.
*****
Jan: If you could pick one place in the world where you could hide for a month with your computer and your thoughts, where would you go?
Kellie: Oh, I can’t say! Then people would know where to find me when I suddenly disappear! Actually, my dream has always been to tour Ireland, England and Scotland. Some of my family originally came from over there and I’ve always felt the pull to visit and see where the ancestry started.
******
You have a book coming out January 16, 2012. Can you tell us a little bit about it?



Rebound is my debut novel coming out with Secret Cravings Publishing. Book 1 in the Love and Balance series, it’s based on my love of gymnastics and romance.

Blurb:
An award-winning choreographer must face the only man she's ever loved then lost when they are teamed up to work together at a gymnastics camp for Olympic hopefuls.
Claire LeMay is at the top of her game - she's head of a prominent gymnastics facility with her gymnasts winning awards for her outstanding choreography. Now her biggest challenge is to coach alongside the man she's avoided for three years after he demanded she live in his shadow instead of forging her own path.
After sinking every penny of his inheritance into his state-of-the-art gymnastics facility, Justin Black has achieved his dream. But even with hundreds of members and well-trained coaches, when Claire's presence invades his space, he reluctantly admits she's the one thing missing in his life. As their old passion tumbles out faster than a gymnast sprinting down the vault runway, Justin knows he can’t let her walk out of his life this time.
Are they destined to repeat the same old routine or will they be able to choreograph a new one?

In this excerpt, Justin has attempted to call a truce between them. Claire doesn’t know what to make of his “goodwill” gesture.

Excerpt: She noticed the silence of the gym. “Did everyone leave? I was lost in thought.” He studied her so intently, her heart stuttered. “Just let me finish stretching. I better find Shelley.”

“She said she’d meet you at the car.”

“Oh.” Unable to bear his gaze, she popped into a bridge—upside down on her hands and feet, back arched—so she didn’t have to face him. She regretted her decision as the new position served to remind her of the time they’d attempted to make love like that. Her cheeks burned as she remembered him maneuvering to slide inside her at the awkward angle. It hadn’t lasted long, but it had been fun to try.

She eased back into a sitting position. “I guess you want to lock up.” She stood and caught him looking her over.

He cleared his throat and turned away, fishing around inside his pants pocket. Then he thrust his hand at her. “Here.”

Tentatively, she took what he offered—a key wrapped in a piece of paper with some numbers on it. “What’s this for?”

“For the gym,” he said gruffly. “I know how you like the solitude before all the activity starts. You’re welcome to come here early. Alone, if you like.”

She stared at the key and the alarm code in her hand. “Did you give this to any of the other coaches?”

He shook his head. “No. Just you.”

Shocked at his attempt to extend an olive branch after all this time, she opened her mouth to speak. The words died in her throat when he reached out and traced her jaw with his fingertip. Oh God, he’s touching me. Only a finger, but still a shiver of sexual awareness made her clit tingle. Her knees threatened to buckle, so she locked the muscles in her thighs to remain upright.

In a low voice, he said, “There’s no reason we can’t be civilized. Is there?”

Rebound buy link: http://store.secretcravingspublishing.com/index.php?main_page=book_info&cPath=13&products_id=236

It’s been fun having you as my first blog-interviewee, Kellie! Best wishes for continued success with your writing career.
    Thanks for having me here, Jan! It was a pleasure. I wish you tons of success, too!

Readers can find me at: www.kelliekamryn.com
www.kelliekamryn.blogspot.com, www.facebook.com/KellieKamryn, or on twitter @KellieKamryn I love to talk! (as Jan knows, LOL)


8 comments:

  1. thanks for having me Jan! You are a great host!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Kellie! I wish you much success with REBOUND and your writing career :-))

      Delete
    2. Thank you Jan! It's a pleasure to have met you :)

      Delete
  2. Great interview! Congrats Kellie on your latest achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kellie!! YAY!!!!! It's release day! So happy for you - and proud of you and ..and...LOL! Wishing you many sales and continued success with this series and all your books!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview, Kellie. You're model of time management! Best of luck with your newest release.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, Thanks Jenn! I can always count on you :)

    Thanks so much, Cara! I don't know about the time management thing but I try :)

    ReplyDelete